…"She's got pipes that rival Neko Case and Kelly Hogan."…
…"Every once in awhile, we see a live show that's so transcendental in its scope, that takes the live venue and transforms it into a singular experience, where the voices of the crowd drops away, and the artist becomes a singular focus.”…
-The Real Big Rock Candy Mountain-
Formerly, a classically trained pianist and singer, Julia made waves most recently in the Chicago music scene as the female counterpart of critically acclaimed songwriter, Joe Pug. Julia was later invited to sing with the band at Lollapalooza and several sold out shows at Schuba’s and The Hideout.
Later that year, being invited to sing on the record, "The Best of Times," with Austin native Colin Gilmore, amongst country greats Willie Nelson, Rhett Miller, Shawn Colvin and The Flatlanders put her on the map and into the studio to make her own record.
The new record, "Big Charade", is a brilliantly crafted collection of piano driven songs with a cast of alt-country musicians that have a tour history ranging from The Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash, Head of Femur, Merle Haggard and ZZ Top.
Her song, "Overpass", a haunting duet recorded with Jim Becker of Iron & Wine, was a bizarre twist of fate, being that it was a live performance by Iron and Wine that inspired Julia to drop out of school years to make her own music.
…"She has a varying music style all the way from rock to country and folk,
and a voice to be jealous of”…
…"Showstopping vocals and songs that were at once unique and accessible, in the vein of Neko Case. Keep your eyes open for her”…
-Windy City Rock-
…:We've never heard it's like before…A rarity for us to love the slow songs, it's true, but that's the power of this record"…
- The Real Big Rock Candy Mountain-
…“Julia Klee has a Chicago career of her own but shares a huge voice for harmony."…
- No Depression-
A List Of Random, But Important Facts:
*She's from Ohio, birth place of Marilyn Manson, Devo and the Black Keys.
* Spent the first 17 years of life mimicking very trained, very schooled vocalists
* Her teachers wanted her to pursue opera
* She sang back up in a wedding band at age 17, and was once a member of the bell choir.
*Her musical heroines are Fiona Apple, Emmy Lou Harris, Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin and Buffy Sainte Marie.
* Julia moved to Chicago at 18 to study music.
* Decided to drop out of music school after seeing an Iron and Wine concert
*Her celebrity audience members have ranged from Mayor Emmanuel, Jim Thome and Ben Vareen
* She married her sound guy
* She has plans to start a sustainable farming community, ran by artists and musicians.
* Her beloved piano was gift from a neighbor, and the result of a divorce.
*Her beloved guitar once belonged to he mother.
* She sang at Lollapalooza with Joe Pug
*Grown men have cried at her shows
*Her songs are her deepest confessions.